Thursday 22 January 2015

This Was The Week That Was...

I started this week in Vienna on Sunday, before packing my luggage and doing the long 8-9hour journey back to Brussels. This is because as a poor nurse, I have to go via Slovakia, flying Brussels-Bratislava then getting the bus from the to Vienna central (currently accepting donations to the Ajala fund, thank you!). Anyway on the flight back, I started to feel fluey and a bit ill, but I still went to work the next day because Tuesdays are basically 4hour meeting days with only 3hours of actual work. This was a very bad idea, as the lack of rest meant I felt even worse on Wednesday, but I again went to work because I found out we were short-staffed that morning from colleagues being ill and I enjoy going to class with the kids. Let's just say that was a terrible decision. 

Fluey on the way to work yesterday

Now as I've mentioned a few times, I work in children's psychiatry with half of our kids being autistic and the other half being psychotic. Well one of the autistic kids (our calmest, normally) decided to kick off and it was beyond crazy to see the violence and strength in this little 11year old girl. She completely wrecked the classroom; smashing all the breakables, aiming mugs and glass cup at our heads etc. My colleague and I tried to calm her down, and protect her from hurting herself but for some reason she decided to go for me. I got kicked about a million times on my shins, scratched all over my face, spat at and had my glasses almost broken. Already feeling fragile from the flu/migraine, I just broke down and cried. The spit on the face was what tipped me over the edge, I think...I felt so helpless! 


Had about 10 of these tiny scratches all over

Here at last!
I always write my name/year and the giver in my books.

After my horrible day, I got home to find a package from Nitty Gritty! It was "Antonyms of a Mirage" by Atilola Moronfolu. I had seen this when it first came out and really wanted to get the book, but never got round to it. Anyway I won it in a giveaway earlier this year and have been eagerly awaiting it's delivery.  I was starting to get worried, but as they say everything happens for a reason. I think the postal gods knew that I needed to save this special delivery for a day when I'd require extra cheering up. So thanks to Ibhade of Nitty Gritty, the US and Belgian postal services, I went to bed a happy bunny last night.

Today I'm off work, because my manager wanted me to stay home and rest. See, this is why I love my job in spite of the sometimes crazy days!

17 comments:

  1. Aww you poor thing. I wondered if you never deal with violence in your job, but I couldn't quite bring myself to ask you. I guess I have my answer now.

    How are you, flu and all, better now? I like how you gave us pictorial evidence of everything, lol. Pele

    You take care now

    Big big hugs and beaucoup bisous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww my little Frenchie ;)

      I'm much better jare! And yes unfortunately we do, but thankfully, rarely.

      Hope you had a fantastic birthday sha ma chere cherie :)

      have a lovely weekend and gros bisous!

      Delete
  2. Bless your heart, Clara. Sending you a warm hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! Now it's a few days later, I'm feeling much better :)

      Delete
  3. Awwww du arme! Tut mir aber Lied! Das ist normal weiß du?!
    Ich hoffe, dass du heute besser als gestern bist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke! Es ist nicht normal aber shit happens...
      Jetzt bin ich besser und glücklich wie ein Häschen :)

      have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  4. Hang in there my dear

    www.lifeforyankee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless your heart Clara.... rhank you for taking care of those kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Esther that's such a lovely thing to say. Thank you!

      XXX

      Delete
  6. Lol @ Ajala Fund donations. I'm sorry you had a bad day. We all have those. I honestly don't know how you do it! One or my former coworkers had two jobs one at the airline with me and another a youth facility like yours but with teenagers. Teenagers!!!!! Can you imagine? She's been attacked and hit in the eye had to have surgery and her coworker was almost killed. I know it's a tough job and someone's gotta do it despite the kids. God bless you Clara!

    Xoxo,

    La Deutsche Diva
    http://ladeutschediva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes o, we are a charity and we're open to donations ;)

      Thank you jare Shahidah! The kids I have are the oldest of the lot, 11-17 at the moment though we take up to 18, but it sounds a lot calmer than where your coworker worked :O And it's definitely better than my old job which was acute adult's/forensic psychiatry. Thankfully, days like this are very rare.

      Delete
    2. Calmer? Freut mich zu hören...irgendwie. Na gut. Pass auf dich auf.

      Xoxo,

      La Deutsche Diva
      http://ladeutschediva.blogspot.com

      Delete
  7. Aww, sorry that you had such a rough day—I would have cried too, under the circumstances. However I'm glad that Ibhade's prize arrived at just the right time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jummy! I confess I was a bit embarrassed but then I realised I'm only human so... Yes, as they say, everything happens for a reason!

      Delete
  8. Mehn Bubba, I really don't get why you suffer yaself like this oh egbon, but one thing that compensates my thinking each time the thought crosses my mind is the fact that you said to me once that you are more fulfilled, and Egbon I am learning from you and many that nothing EVER beats living a fulfilled life.. I am happy you are better now, and that the Flu and all the gbo gbo wahala e have somewhat subsided.. Just go easy on you biko.. heheheheh @Ajala Fund.. Ajala fund ko, Ajala fund ni.. hehehehe lmao.. I know you enjoy the Ajala lifestyle, but Ajala sef na human being na, shey Egbon? Well Thank GOD for the #FitFammovement and #2015myyearofhotness movement in the kitchen, as eating healthy will most definitely help subside the stress.. :P. Just be good bubba, you are amazing, and we love our Clara well well.. Please dont be over working yourself Biko.. We beg you in teh name of Zenith bank... Sho gbo?! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes o aburo mi atata (looks around for witnesses ;) ). In spite of everything, I really love my job...in fact for me, it is my vocation. And thanks for caring, sometimes one just wants to be a cry baby and get sympathy from their entourage and everything feels better lol! And I'm still on the grind, ani se , in this 2015 them go take ;)

      Delete